Student Welfare


When students from other countries come to study in New Zealand, it is important that those students are well informed, safe, and properly cared for.

New Zealand educational providers have an important responsibility for international students' welfare. This pamphlet provides an overview of the "The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice 2016" (the Code), and provides a procedure that students can follow if they have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider.

What is the Code?

The Code is a document that provides a framework for service delivery by educational providers and their agents to international students. The Code sets out the minimum standards of advice and care that are expected of educational providers with respect to international students. The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, and not to academic standards.

Who does the Code apply to?

The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What is an "international student"?

An "international student" is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How can I get a copy of the Code?

You can download a copy of Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016. The Code is also available online from

How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?

The New Zealand Ministry of Education maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code, you will not be granted a permit from the New Zealand Immigration Service and you will not be able to study at that institution.

What do I do if something goes wrong?

If a student feels aggrieved by the action or decision of a lecturer or other member of the College, the following steps should be followed to make a complaint or access support:

Step 1: In the first instance the student is encouraged to approach their lecturer, to identify and clarify the concern.
If the problem is resolved, no further action is required. If the problem is not resolved, step 2 is followed.

Step 2: The student may contact a member of the administration staff, who will gather all information and documentation, and refer the case to the President. The President will then review the case and make a final decision. The administration staff will then advise the student regarding the President’s decision.
If the problem cannot be resolved through the President, the CEO may be consulted.
Step 3: Where the student is still not satisfied he/she may contact New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)

New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)
The Complaints Officer
Quality Assurance Division
P.O. Box 160
Wellington 6140
Freephone in NZ: 0800 697 296
Phone: 04 463 3000

If the complaint is of a financial/contractual nature, NZQA will refer it to the Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS) operator, iStudent Complaints.

iStudent Complaints
Freephone in NZ: 0800 00 66 75

What to do in an Earthquake

The danger you face in an earthquake comes from falling debris and collapsing structures such as buildings and bridges. You need to be aware of these hazards to help you get through. There are thousands of earthquakes in New Zealand every year, but most of them are not felt because they are either small, or very deep within the earth. A large, damaging earthquake could occur at any time. The best way to prepare is to get ready now. Follow these simple steps:

Before an earthquake

Getting ready before an earthquake strikes will help reduce damage to your home and business and help you survive.

  • Develop a Household Emergency Plan and prepare an Emergency Survival Kit so that you can cope with being on your own for up to three days or more
  • Identify safe places within your home, school or workplace. A safe place is:
    • under a strong table, remember to hold onto the legs
    • next to an interior wall
    • somewhere close to you, no more than a few steps, or two metres away, to avoid injury from flying debris
  • Check your household insurance policy for cover and amount
  • Seek qualified advice to make sure your house is secured to its foundations. Also check that any renovations comply with the NZ Building Code
  • Secure heavy items of furniture to the floor or wall. Click here to find out how to quake-safe your home

During an earthquake

  • If you are inside a building, move no more than a few steps, drop, cover and hold

Drop, cover and hold during an earthquake

  • If you are outside, move no more than a few steps, then drop, cover and hold
  • If you are driving, pull over and stop
  • If you are at the beach or near the coast, drop, cover and hold then move to higher ground immediately in case a tsunami follows the quake  

After an earthquake

  • You should expect to feel aftershocks
  • Help those around you if you can
  • If you are in a damaged building, try to get outside and find a safe, open place
  • Do not go sightseeing to look at the damage the earthquake has caused
  • If you smell gas, try and turn off the gas main outside the building if it is safe to do so
  • If you see sparks, broken wires or evidence of electrical system damage, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box if it is safe to do so
  • If your property is damaged, take notes and photographs for insurance purposes
  • Listen to the radio for information and advice